Even more encouraging is the conversation I had with her nurse this morning. Jenny the NICU nurse was very positive about Lela's growth and development and mentioned that babies are typically moved to an open-air crib once they successfully spend 24-36 hours with the isolette temp at 27.5 degrees Celsius (where Lela's is right now). Of course, sometimes a baby may move out of the isolette only to be moved back in she doesn't tolerate the open air very well, but moving into open-air is a very good step in the right direction. Jenny also told me that Lela is doing so well that we may want to mentally prepare to bring her home sooner than originally expected. She suggested that Babak and I start lining up the things we need to take care of prior to bringing her home, like taking the free infant CPR class the hospital recommends for all preemie parents and getting our carseat installed and doing the carseat test at the hospital, etc.
Now, all of this is merely a nurse's conjecture and not a doctor's prognosis, and of course it is all subject to change at any time based on Lela's development, but I am encouraged by her comments all the same. And now I'm off to attack my to-do list with renewed vigor - the possibility of Lela coming home soon is a powerful motivator!!!
(PS - This pic is actually from yesterday or the day before. It's next to impossible for me to take pictures when I go to NICU alone without Babak - it is true what they say about mother's needing extra hands!)
So if the 0-3 onesie is so huge, try holding a newborn size diaper up to her! Those preemie diapers are just too cute. This is my favorite pic of her by the way.
ReplyDelete