Good news from the NICU. Dr. Baer confirmed that Lela is the most awesome baby in the world. Well, what she actually said was that Lela is doing great now that she has gotten the hang of feedings and she is making poopie on her own. Lela is up to 27 ml of milk per bottle and she should go up to 31 ml (a full preemie serving) by the end of this evening. She's also regulating her temp well, though they still have not moved her to the open air bin. Despite that hold up, Dr. Baer told us to mentally prepare for the possibility that Lela could come home as early as next week! Of course, it would depend on how well Lela does in the open air bin, but Dr. Baer wanted us to be prepared for the possibility so we wouldn't be taken totally by surprise if it happened. I appreciate the warning because I would have probably fainted dead away if I showed up to the NICU one day next week and they told me to bring in the carseat because she's going home! I expected her to be in the hospital for MANY weeks - as in, more than two. After I got over my initial shock, I got really excited to take my baby home and then I got really terrified. It's too soon! She's too small! The nursery is still a mess! I'm afraid of breaking her! Eek!!!
In reality, I think that next week is a bit optimistic. The nurses told me that babies typically go home within a week or so of moving to the open air bin provided they do well and don't have to move back to the isolette, and Lela hasn't even moved over to the bin yet. Second, she's still really really small and while there is no standard weight required for discharge, I don't think there is any need to rush her when she's so tiny. But, it is still SO WONDERFUL to hear how well she is doing in the NICU. And I'm sure her homecoming will be exciting and terrifying and exhilarating and panic-inducing and wonderful and strange and absolutely joyful regardless of whether it is next week or next month. Whenever she is ready to come home, we will be ready for her.
No comments:
Post a Comment