Friday, July 30, 2010

Did we start a trend?

I was thumbing through the Pottery Barn Kids catalog and almost CHOKED when I saw pics of the new bedding collection:

Click on the picture to enlarge if necessary.

You can also view the collection online here: http://www.potterybarnkids.com/room/rom/romnur/romnurlee/?cm_type=lnav

So, I checked with the baby name wizard and other internet sites and "Leela" has not cracked the top 1,000 baby names in recorded history. "Lela" was somewhat popular in the mid-19th century, reaching its popularity peak around 1890 and dying out almost entirely by the 1970s. I'm convinced that someone we know tipped off the Pottery Barn designers about this adorable baby with the lovely, unique name AND NOW THEY'VE STOLEN IT AND MADE THEIR OWN SPELLING.

As you all know, we chose the name Lela because it is the phonetic spelling of the Persian "Lila," and we liked that it was Persian but still pronounceable by my side of the family. So, even though we were not actively striving to pick a totally unique name, I'm a little perturbed by this catalog copy cat because Pottery Barn usually selects the uber-popular names for its bedding lines (see, the Caden collection, the Sophie nursery, etc.). Is Lela (or Leela) suddenly going to experience a resurgence? If so, I'd just like to state for the record that WE NAMED HER FIRST.

No comments:

Post a Comment