Wednesday, July 28, 2010

CAKE!

So, I like to think of myself as fairly laid back. But then I also recognize that I'm definitely a little like one of those moms. Yes, I make my own baby food and yes, I try to buy organic, antibiotic-free, hormone-free, free-range, locally-grown, virginally-birthed, magical ingredients and whatnot. And Lela does have a pretty healthy palette - certainly more than Babak and me! - and she eats mostly veggies, cheese, yogurt, fruit and whole grains. All this is my way of explaining that Lela has never really eaten sugar. And remember how I said that I almost went into a diabetic coma when I tasted my homemade icing? And if I - with such a high tolerance for sugar that I could probably mainline it and not blink an eye - thought the icing was too sugary, then it was probably too sugary for my Whole Foods-reared baby. But, what is a first birthday celebration if not an excuse to take photos of your baby eating cake?

(Yes, we got her mostly naked for cupcake time. I guessed that the "electric pink" food dye I used in the icing was not clothing-friendly).






She seemed to like it! But she didn't fuss when we took it away after only a few minutes.

After cake and presents, we went out to the pool to swim a few laps. Lela had to burn off all those cupcake calories somehow!
All in all, it was a wonderful first birthday!

1 comment:

  1. Nasrin from Portland, OregonAugust 18, 2010 at 12:14 AM

    Oh my God. She is adorable. I am so glad that your Maman Shohreh gave me the address fianlly. She thought she could hide this cute baby Lela...ya right! I regret the distance otherwise I would be available for babysitting anytime/day and night. Hug and kiss to all three of you but mostly to Lela! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete