
We celebrated Lela's first birthday on Saturday with a low-key party at home. Babak's parents and brother and my mom were the only guests. We just don't have the space for a lot of other friends and kids and we knew that Lela wouldn't remember her first birthday anyway. Of course, that didn't stop me from adding a few birthday touches to the special day.

I was determined that Lela would have pink cupcakes. I even made the decorator's icing myself and used a piping bag to get the perfect swirl. They looked great! The problem is that they didn't taste great. The icing was WAY too sweet. As in, I almost went into a diabetic coma after tasting it. So, Babak ran out to the grocery store and picked up a regular can of Duncan Hines buttercream and I scraped off the "pretty"icing and replaced it with
the good (less pretty, but still pink) stuff. Yum!

Then, Babak and I had fun with streamers.

And I replicated the tissue paper flowers I learned to make in kindergarten.

Lela LOVED the streamers! She gets excited and points and once she fell over backwards as her body followed her head when she craned her neck to scan the entire length of the streamer across the kitchen ceiling. She likes them so much, they're still on our ceiling. We'll take them down by Christmas, I swear.
I also ordered this adorable birthday hat from a seller on Etsy.

You gotta love handmade goods, even if you're not the one hand-making them!
But most importantly, we wanted to make sure that this little girl had a great day.

And she did! Check back tomorrow for more birthday details.
No comments:
Post a Comment