Friday, August 7, 2009

The Sisterhood of the Pumping-Bra, and Other Maternal Secrets

One of the unexpected benefits of writing this blog is how it is letting me connect (or re-connect) with so many people, all bonding over the shared experience of motherhood. It's like there is a secret Mom Club that I never knew existed until I was inducted on July 19. People automatically talk to you differently. The topics of conversation change, obviously. Much more unabashed talk of boobs, and not in a "how do they look in this dress?" or "is this too inappropriate for the office?" sort of way, but more in lactation/latching/fully-automatic pumping sort of way. But moving beyond the mere topics of conversation, there is another difference: this unspoken understanding between women who have conceived and gestated and given birth to and raised another human being. There is something so primal in that experience that it creates, dare I say, a sisterhood of sorts. They get it. And they know I get it now, too. I'm the newly initiated freshman in this little sorority, so I have next to no experiences to pass along to the next woman. But, I can humbly confess my neuroses, my mistakes, my stresses and my small, everyday joys on this blog and know that other mothers read this and they assure me that they've gone through the same things. I've received so many wonderful (and hilarious) emails from cousins and old college friends and work colleagues and family members, all passing along their own wisdom or anecdotes or confessions or encouragements. Who knew that I am not the first new mother to pull over the car to climb into the back seat to confirm her baby didn't pass out during the last 2 miles? Twice? How do you think I discovered the existence of the hands-free pumping bra, the best invention in the universe? Keep 'em coming, ladies. I can use the help, and I can definitely use the laughs. Thanks to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment