Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Happy Birthday Lela!


Lela is 1 month old today! She celebrated with several naps, bottles, and poopies. Big sister Bella gave her a wet nose to the forehead. Crazy day in the Tabatabai household!

You may be thinking that Lela looks a bit cranky in this photograph. That is what I get for trying to stage a photo op before providing the lunchtime refreshment. Lela was less than pleased. I picked the smiliest photo of the bunch. The rest looked something like this:




It's hard to believe that my little monkey is a month old already! These days, my sense of time curiously alternates between flying and moving at the speed of molasses, but there are a couple of legitimate factors that explain my confusion: First, I'm pretty sleep deprived. Second, Lela spent her first 2 weeks in the NICU and has only been home with us for 16 days now. And lastly, she's still supposed to be in my womb!

In my pre-Lela life, I imagined spending August 19 moaning about my swollen cankles, feverishly cleaning and organizing the house and nursery in a fit of maternal nesting, and whining/cheering that there is still/only 2.5 weeks left to go till my due date. Now, of course, I can barely remember being pregnant. (Aside: it's true what they say that a woman's mind conveniently erases pregnancy the moment she gives birth - otherwise, she'd never have a second child, ha ha).

Time has rewritten my memory of Lela's actual birth day as well. Vaguely, I remember the terror, confusion, anxiety, stress, and hormone-induced uncontrollable tears I experienced during my hospitalization and emergency c-section on July 19, but now I think of that day as one of the happiest days in my life: the day little Lela joined our family.

Happy birthday, sweetheart.

No comments:

Post a Comment