Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Swimming

We took lessons with Miss Glendy again this summer.  You may want to check out these posts (click here)  from last summer for a refresher on Miss Glendy.  Last summer, Lela screamed through 2.5 of the 5 swimming lessons, but by the end of the week she could jump in the water, float to her back, paddle to the side of the pool, and get out.  Since Lela learned the life-saving techniques last summer, this summer we moved on to swimming on her tummy and rolling over onto her back to breathe.  Lessons were much less stressful this year.  Lela was still riding high on the confidence she gained from last summer's lessons - boasting that she was "great" at swimming on her back as a two year old, so she was ready to learn to swim on her tummy as a three year old.  (She's very focused on age:  "When I was a two-year old..." prefaces many of her statements).

Nonetheless, I was still a little nervous about how she would do.  Maybe it was the post-traumatic stress I experienced last year.  But I shouldn't have worried.  This summer, she hopped right in the pool and swam right over to Miss Glendy.  Look at her go!



After working on tummy-swimming, Glendy moved on to teaching Lela to flip over to her back to breathe. By the end of the week, I swear it looked like Lela was almost doing a passable freestyle.



No comments:

Post a Comment