Wednesday, December 5, 2012
What's in a name
We didn't come up with Lela's name until we were in the recovery room after her birth, and I feel like we did pretty well under pressure. I still love the name Lela Charlotte and it's a hard act to follow. (Check out Lela's "What's in a name post" here). After months of indecision, I was really hoping that we would have a similarly brilliant flash of inspiration in the recovery room after Sasha's birth, but that didn't happen. In fact, she didn't have a name for almost 48 hours. We went into the hospital with a list of names that we liked, but nothing really seemed right once we saw her.
The first night in the hospital, I was woken up every hour or so by nurses checking on me and bringing me the baby to nurse, but sometime in between the wake-ups and through the haze of the hormones and pain meds I had a dream that our baby was named Sasha. Nothing remarkable happened in the dream...but it was a fact that our baby existed and that her name was Sasha. And when I woke in the morning, I found myself thinking of her as a Sasha. The weird thing is that name had never been on our list. We had never discussed it, we don't know anyone else named it, and I never really had much of an opinion of it. But once I started thinking of her as a "Sasha," it was hard to shake. It took another 24 hours before we committed to it on her birth certificate. Now, of course, I think the name fits her perfectly.
Sometime in her first week home, we started calling her "Sasha Bear" and the nickname has stuck. I just love the way Lela says, "little sa-sha-bear". I've got to get that on video.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Sasha moosh, I love you so much. I want to squeeze those chubby cheeks of yous. Shu Shu
ReplyDeleteI like Sasha moosh as a nickname.
ReplyDelete