Thursday, June 21, 2012

Swim Lessons, Part I: Child's Play


We started swim lessons this summer.  I signed Lela up for a swimmers safety bootcamp with a private instructor at the end of July.  I knew the bootcamp class would take a dramatic sink-or-swim approach, so I started her off in June/July with a neighborhood girl who gave her gentle intro-to-swimming lessons so she could get used to the water.  I know, it may seem crazy to get really serious about swim lessons at this age, but honestly it's a safety thing.  There are so many pools in San Antonio (half of the houses on our street have a pool) and there is such a high incidence of accidental drownings that we decided she MUST learn to swim as soon as possible.


Ellie was great and Lela really enjoyed her first swim lessons.  She learned how to blow bubbles with her mouth, go underwater (sort of) and doggie paddle (sort of - she could only keep herself afloat by relying on a pool noodle, but she could do the motions to propel herself through the water).


The below video is pretty uneventful.  I'm only posting it so you can see the difference between these swim lessons and the bootcamp lessons I'll post shortly.  Those were so intense, I think I'm still recovering from my PTSD.  





No comments:

Post a Comment