Friday, April 27, 2012

First battle scar



We always wondered when we would have to make our first trip to the hospital.  Well, that was back in February when Lela drank a bottle of children's tylenol.  Oh, did I not mention that here? Well, yes...I don't think I did a blog post on that trip. For starters, we were a bit too stressed to take photos.  And second, we didn't want to invite a visit from Child Protective Services. Long story short, we discovered too late that Lela was capable of climbing up on top of her bathroom counter, opening the medicine cabinet, opening a child-proof bottle of tylenol and drinking it.  When she finally made some noise that we picked up on the baby monitor and we got upstairs (this was long after her bedtime and we thought she was sleeping), she had already emptied the entire bottle.  Now, the bottle wasn't full to begin with and she had spilled quite a lot on the countertop, so we know she didn't drink the entire thing...but still, drinking tylenol is bad.  So, that was our first late-night ER visit.  Fortunately, they calculated that even if Lela had ingested half of the bottle it was not a liver-failing dose, so they sent us home.  Parenting FAIL.

Anywho...back to the present (er, April).  Fortunately, our second trip to the hospital wasn't quite as dramatic though it was a bit more bloody.  Lela fell at school and split the skin below her eye. It wasn't a bad cut and she wasn't in much pain, but the cut wasn't clotting and I didn't want her to have a visible scar so I took her to the urgent care clinic and they put in a single stitch.  Lela was such a brave girl!  She stayed perfectly still while Babak held her head and I distracted her with some ridiculous story or song and the doctor put in the stitch without incident.  He told me to take her to the pediatrician in 7-10 days to remove it.


 Well, we showed up at the pediatrician in 7 days to discover that the skin had healed around the stitch and the pediatrician couldn't remove it without some pain and digging around.  Apparently, facial wounds heal quickly and we should have taken her to have it removed in 3-4 days.  So, we were forced to take her to the  emergency room so they could give her anesthesia to make removal easier.  Believe me, I was pretty mad at the stupid urgent care doctor for giving us shoddy instructions.  Also, because this basically guaranteed that she would have a BIGGER scar than had I never taken her to the damn doctor at all!  Lesson learned.


She was such a cutie at the hospital.  They gave her Versed, which is kind of like Valium, which chilled her out enough so they could remove the stitch easily.  Have you ever seen a drunken toddler?  Behold:


She got really very sleepy a short while after this video and the stitch was removed without incident.  Poor kiddo.

No comments:

Post a Comment